I am giving myself the challenge of consciously choosing to randomly do at least one thing kind and loving for someone as often as I can, and I will be sharing those moments here in the hopes that it will inspire someone else to do the same. Hopefully others will take up the challenge!

Monday 16 May 2011

A Kind Stranger Rescues The Stranded Teddy Bear

Connors green soccer teddy bear


Yesterday, my youngest three children went to a birthday party. In the party favors that they brought home, they each got a small teddy bear. My four year old was thrilled with his as it was green and had a little soccer ball on its chest. He took it to bed with him last night, brought it to breakfast with him this morning, and was taking it to school with him today too.

Unfortunately, while we were waiting for the bus on the way to his school, he decided to throw his teddy bear into the air over and over, and, during one of those throws, it landed on top of the bus stop's shelter. There was no way I could reach it to get it down. I am only 5'2" tall. I tried putting one of his sisters on my shoulders but they still weren't tall enough on my shoulders to reach it. I couldn't even see the teddy bear up there unless I stepped back really far from the bus shelter and stood on my tippy-toes.

I took a very sad four year old to school. I hated seeing him so sad about it, so I decided to try again to get it down when I got home. Once I got back home, I went inside and got the pole with hook that we have for opening out skylights and went back to the bus stop.

Even with the long pole with the hook, I could not rescue the teddy bear. I thought maybe my husband, being 6'8" tall, might be able to have better luck when he got home, but he wouldn't be home until after 5:00pm, and it looked like it was going to rain.

This is where the kind stranger comes in; a man was walking towards my direction. Before he got to me, he was about to cross the street, but he saw my struggling to try and get the teddy bear down, so instead of crossing the street and continuing to wherever it was he was going, he came over to me and asked if I would like some help. I told him about the teddy bear, and he quickly took the pole and started helping.

In three tries, this man succeeded in getting the teddy bear down from the top of the bus shelter, and I thanked him with a big smile. He then continued on to his original destination. It was so kind of him to stop and help, and I knew I had to share his kind deed here.

I don't know who he was, but I am pleased to find people in this world who are willing to take a moment out of their daily lives to help someone else. And my four year old is going to be so happy when I pick him up from school and show him that his teddy bear has been rescued!

No comments:

Post a Comment